Thursday, August 30, 2007

Heavenly Pleasures

How do you derive pleasure from your relationship with God?

Earthly pleasures are in the flesh. They are instantly gratifying. Be it eating an extra hot Nandos half-chicken with peri-peri chips, indulging in certain "refreshments" after a hard day's work or engaging in other "extra-curricular activities".

Heavenly pleasures are in the soul. They are not necessarily instant. In order to enjoy heavenly pleasures and resist the allures of earthly pleasures will require self-control and patience. Self-control to resist the call for instant gratification. Patience to wait on God and enjoy his presence.

Hmmm. Patience and Self-control. Two very difficult things to master. But both that require the relinquishment of one’s will. Reminds me of the song below:

“Take my heart and mould it
Take my mind, transform it
Take my will, conform it
To yours, To yours O Lord”

I need to desire heavenly pleasures with the same zeal (if not more) I do earthly ones. More importantly, I need to pray for patience and self-control. I believe this is something God has been impressing on me for a while now and it is time I start to take it very seriously.

Father, help me seek heavenly pleasures at all times especially in my lows and resist the allure of earthly pleasures which despite their attractiveness will never fill that emptiness and void which only You can.

On a side note. Tomorrow is Friday men. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

1 comment:

bighead said...

Does all this make earthly pleasures wrong? And you didn't give any example of heavenly pleasures.